Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rice and Vegetables

I find that the closer to payday I get, the less money I have. Especially the last two months. With August's check being less than half of my regular pay check (thank you air borne illnesses), I've been scrimping and saving most of October. I'm okay with that though. I've paid all my bills and sent money back to the states. I got to have fun with people. No traveling this week of vacation, but next week will make up for that.

All I've been eating for the past week, however, has been rice and vegetables. And every once and a while I'll remember I have pasta to make pasta and all kinds of sauces. But, the spaghetti has been eaten and my coffee filter has been used twice in two days. I almost feel like a college student all over again. This, is NOT, intended. It is what it is.

I've made so many great things with rice and vegetables. I made fried rice balls (mmmm yummy) with a great spicy sauce. The next day, I made sweet rice (no vegetables). Hmmm after that, I had a meal of soup with rice in it. I flavored it like one might tortilla soup. It was a delight and lasted for three meals. The sauce really makes the rice. I never thought I'd enjoy rice so much and I'm getting better at not burning the rice at the bottom of the pot. Upon cleaning my drain (well taking out the food catcher from my drain...handy little bags) I found that after soaking all the burned rice from the pots, I could have easily eaten one and a half servings. So, I'm cooking the rice a little shorter.

I don't look at it as a matter of survival but an amazing opportunity to be creative. So, for a few more days: rice and vegetables it will be.

I can't help but crave hamburgers and chicken though. It is what it is.

In less exciting news. I took my first bath today. The Japanese style of bathing generally consists of washing down in a shower that is connected to a short (my legs were definitely bent) and very deep bathtub. So, as I was sitting and freezing while watching Gilmore Girls, I decided to finally use this bathtub.

It was amazing. As soon as I steered my mind away from the heavy water against my chest, I relaxed. For about five minutes. I guess I'm not a bath girl. It's like my own mini spa. And I'm glad I experienced it.

My vacation has been so relaxing. A little boring at times. But already full of drama (and I didn't even leave my apartment yesterday but to go running and check my mail). Monday, I wait for thee. I will be going to Tokyo, then Kyoto and off to South Korea...

Until then..I relax and enjoy not having to move from my bed if I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment