Monday, February 28, 2011

Still on Kyushu...

It's been ages since I've written on my lovely little blog. A lot has changed since the last time I've updated; yet much has stayed the same.

I'm still on Kyushu Island, still in the South and still overtaken by Japan everyday.

The changes...

My apartment is about 2.5 times the size of my last one, it's definitely older, but the kitchen is bigger!

I started a different job and will be officially working as a Kindergarten teacher coming this April. I've met loads (and by loads I think 11-12) of new people and have been taken out of my comfort zone on many an occasion.
I suppose I'll start with the job. I'm in a city where, apparently the highest number of Yakusa live. Yakusa (I believe that is the way it should be spelled) are the Japanese mafia. You can recognize them by their richly dressed attitudes, badly died hair (for the most part), tattoos and ridiculously flashy cars. I think, I've heard of one family and have seen one car... Kurume is a city...think Chandler (for you Arizonans) on the outskirts of Fukuoka city; which I still love.

The city itself is big enough for me to not be bored on the weekends and small enough for me to want to travel to Fukuoka for some "big city" life. I really enjoy it and find out new things everyday. One of which: I need to smile more.
I've never been so stressed out, in my life, over a job. But, this stress is good stress. It's wanting to do the best I can and waking up with the motivation to do better than the next day. It's gotten so bad that my Japanese teacher has been telling me for a week to: relax. Quichia sensei: please relax...(relaxing gesture) smile (smiling face) and then she laughs at me. To be more intense than my Japanese teacher should be illegal in Japan. She's an "obachan" as she's been at my school since it opened (around 25 years or more) I believe. She knows what she's doing when it comes to teaching and I look up to her and respect her ideas because I generally don't know what I'm doing.

I teach the 3-4 year old Kindergarten class; which is the second youngest (we also have 2 year olds). And when I'm not begging for their attention, I'm changing my voice for the recital of the ABC's...I'm dancing in front of 24 giggling fetuses (Lydia is that the correct spelling?) and I'm praying they understand the main lesson. I'm also always yelling at one girl whom, had she not been so cute, I'd never recognize her face because she's always turned around talking to her neighbors.
Despite the fact that they climb up me (yes, literally grab onto me and hoist themselves up my legs and onto my torso as a small monkey would), make me want to just lay on the floor and take a nap and give me cigarette cravings (once anyway)...I absolutely adore them. I accidentally picked a bloody booger once...

I also do classes in the afternoons and my favorites are an Adult class and a baby class. The adults are just as adorable as the babies and oh so fun. And they bring me snacks. The baby class...one baby has this smile that would brighten up any room. I finally know why people try so so hard to get babies to smile...it's like God enters the room and you're just peaceful and happy. I adore that class. AND they are sooooooo well behaved. Aw

The new people...
Having co-workers is nice. Having co-workers you get along with is great. So far, I have been welcomed warmly. I've been able to go on dinner dates, intrude for afternoon coffee; have meaningful conversations; Sunday Funday/Sunday relax day...and for the first time in a long time, I don't feel so lonely in Japan. My boss has been nothing but supportive and nice to me. It's really a blessing to have been surrounded by so many nice people. I even enjoy karaoke now (especially with whistles!).

I hate snow. It snowed in Kyushu...yes, it's pretty to look at...but to be in? To live in? To freeze in? Um...no thanks.

Japanese boys have become more appealing to me...

Valentine's day= Chcolate= um...yes, please! I eat chocolate now?!

The things that are still the same...

I'm still homesick. I miss my friends, my family, my American sushi and Jack 'N the Box. It's gotten so bad, that I've had a dream that one of the teachers told me there was a Jack in the middle of town... I'll see/eat all of them/that soon enough though. Golden week :)

I'm still running. Spring is blowing us kisses from afar and the weather has been rather lovely (British English 101). My bike has been dusted off and my running shoes still fit properly. Bring it on Spring...I want to explore my city. My friend just told me that there is a running path on the mountain that my apartment faces and there is a potential waterfall...sugoi!!!
I plan on playing there very soon and probably frequently.

Cooking...I've cooked. Thanksgiving dinner was great; even the pepper cake :)
We've had a couple of dinners here and there and I still love cooking. I still want to be a chef when I'm older (forse an obachan).

I'm still teaching.

I'm still in love with my Italian Stallion and my nephew is still amazing.

Here're some pics:

Karaoke night in Kurume :) (outfit compliments of Fukuoka City Zara)




My school: first "snow day" I've ever had...


My sensei playing :)


How could you not fall in love with chocolate when it looks so cute?


I got to visit my beau for Christmas and was able to bring Japan and...China to the table :)

1 comment:

  1. Aw!! So happy to read this update! I feel the exact same way about so many aspects of my life here in Osaka- the city life, having coworkers, etc.

    Cheers to us for taking that plunge :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete