Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquakes...Tsunamis...Japan...Oh My...

Those were the words of an email my friend, Staff Sgt. Koehler sent to me. As usual, I was out of the loop. I find it fairly difficult to watch the news, CNN, or anything of the sort. It stresses me out, gives me anxiety and makes me think far too much. I normally rely on friends and family and instincts to keep me informed. I'm one of "those" who hasn't a clue what's going on in Lybia and found out briefly about the uprising in Egypt from a Facebook post. Being in Japan-with little to no understanding of the Japanese language- has not changed at all.

"Are you okay?" "Are you near the earthquake?" "Call me please!" Were all subject titles to what would later be revealed to me as the biggest earthquake to hit Japan in 100 years (cnn.com).

The closest I came to the earthquake was complaining about my cold, drinking coffee and getting a lecture from my sister about "being informed!" A map of Japan:
Map of Japan

Shows just how far I am from the epicenter (NorthEast Japan versus SouthWest).

I feel blessed to not be anywhere near the turmoil and sickened that so many are suffering. However, despite how horrible things look, I have a sense of peace. Thank God for my faith and for those constantly praying for me!

To not make this post entirely about me. I'm watching as workers struggle to dismantle the debris that was caused. It is a job that seems so much bigger than one could handle. The reporters are wearing helmets...

Some reportings from Cnn.com:

CNN updates

Things that I have found online:

Ways to Donate


Shelter Information for English speakers as well


Ways to Pray



Ways to prepare for another earthquake


Relief efforts started shortly after the quake and of course will continue until...well Japan is relieved. It's amazing as I watch a boat- the size of my apartment building- laying, on its side, in the middle of what used to be a rice field. It's amazing how natural disasters are so...horrible. But, what doesn't amaze me is that it's been spoken about for years:
Mark 13:7-9 ESV / 19


And when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. This must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. These are but the beginning of the birth pains. “But be on your guard. For they will deliver you over to councils, and you will be beaten in synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them.

It also amazes me just how much people will band together in a crisis. That, in itself is the most amazing. No weapon formed against me shall prosper.


No comments:

Post a Comment