Saturday, March 19, 2011

Things to keep you comfy in Japan

I reckon (more British English) when people tell me they are proud of me for moving to another country that they don't know how much I whine about missing things from home. Well...whined! "You never know what you've got till it's gone?"

Things that are a must-have for us NorthAmericaners:
The Flying Pig is not an actual pig that flies around Japan (though I'm sure in some arcade somewhere there is one). It's a great website that is linked to Costco and will deliver those foods we miss from home. I also found I was allergic to ah hem..."personal" items in Japan (not a fun discovery) and alas, after begging a friend to buy the biggest box from Costco- I found they sold what I needed on the website. Those and black beans!!!

An umbrella (they sell them everywhere) and you will need it during rainy season and to block the sun because it DOES get toasty. (Take my advice, I'm from Phoenix, Arizona).

The nearest 100 yen shop. It will do wonders for decorating your apartment, furnishing your apartment and increasing your supply of toilet paper or snacks.

Skype! Calling family back home has never been so free.

Friends. So, that means...studying Japanese. I find that Japanese people are shy, but so am I. However, many are open to practicing English and making you their friend, so smile and sometimes you may have to take the first step. I have improved on my Japanese speaking skills. I cannot have a conversation AT ALL. Imagine talking to a one-year-old and smiling at their gibberish (as they aren't really making any words at all) then clapping because they said: cat! That's my Japanese. It is horrible, but the little teeny tiny bit that I know helps.

The internet. There are many internet cafes around Japan, but being able to get onto Facebook for an update or blogger to escape your mind definitely helps with homesickness.

A ticket home! Feeling homesick is normal, but visiting home can often get expensive, so go home and hug your loved ones. No.1 Travel is a big travel agency in Japan that will help with booking tickets. Sometimes you can make payments on flights.


A toaster oven/oven. One that has a dial on it- with different temperature settings- will help greatly with baking small goods as Japanese apartments generally don't come with real ovens. Oh ovens how I miss thee.

An electric heater in the winter (my best friend) and an open door in the summer; some bug spray (because Japanese bugs are bigger than Japanese people). And an open mind. Have fun, travel, be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment